Monday, July 25, 2011

bam-boooooooooo

As we continue to get settled into our house Jeff and I continue to think of things we want to do. Things that are small and would take a day, like installing the surround sound speakers, and others that would take a lot more time, like tearing out all the bamboo in our front planter and planting other things in its place. We both have opinions about which of these things should be done first and which ones can wait. Well, let me just give a little context for the story I'm about to tell...Most of the week I spend inside the house. When the weekend comes along and Jeff is outside working on projects I would love to be out there with him but it's a little hard since I can't do everything he can. Let me correct myself, I can't do really anything he can. However, as we started talking about tearing out the bamboo in our front planter I thought to myself, "I think I could do that...yeah, for sure I could." So I kept asking Jeff if he would mind me doing it. He was resistant at first but then finally said, "If you want to you can, but just know that I have other things to do and won't be able to help you at all. In fact, I would prefer to wait to do it, but if you really want to, go ahead." So, I decided to take that as a challenge and prove to him that I could tear all the bamboo out without his help at all and I got to work. Here's what it looked like before


It took me a few hours and by the time it was all torn out I had filled up both of our big garbage bins and about 6 black garbage bags. I only asked him for help one time, and that was at the end while I was loading all the garbage bags up. :) hehehe...but let me tell you, I felt like a grandma for the next week because I could barely move my fingers and the joints hurt so bad! What I thought was going to be an easy project turned into a much more complicated one because little did I know bamboo roots grow like crazy and you can't just plant in the same dirt they were planted in. Jeff dug a foot down and moved the dirt to the side of the house, then sprayed the planter with weed killer for a couple weeks. Then, just this past weekend he had to dig dirt from another big hole on the side of the house and transplant it. Whew...that was a lot of work! Then we were ready to plant.

Here's how it turned out


Sorry for the long drawn out story. But the moral of the story is that sometimes things take a little longer than I think, especially if you are going to do them right. Also, my husband is a patient man :)

No comments: