Sunday, December 18, 2011

happiness and joy

Over the last few weeks I have really been thinking about these two words and what they mean. What they mean for me, for our family and for others. I have been faced with the news of people becoming ill, people passing away, and marriages struggling. A few weeks ago I was talking to somebody about how God desires for us to be happy and they challenged my thinking in that. God doesn't promise us happiness, he promises that with his spirit in us we will have joy. In all of that I go back to God and remember that we are living in a time where Christ has come and he will come again. It's interesting that this is on my mind now as we are quickly approaching Christmas, a holiday that is celebrated because of the birth of our Christ, the savior of the world.

But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people." Luke 2:10

The good news is that God sent his son into this world to be among his people and ultimately to die for our sins and bridge the separation between God and humanity. He sent his son for me and for you and for every other person. Because of that we can live with the knowledge that we are saved and will live forever with Christ.

I have really been trying to remember this as we are going through the Christmas Season and am so thankful for all it means to me. When Christ lives in us we are filled with joy.

No comments: